Wednesday, January 25, 2012

When it was so Un-thinkable


Happy birthday to Alicia Keys! This music video reminds me of The Loving Story. I think it is very fitting that Alicia Keys being biracial in real life, played the role of a young African-American lady in love. She can't be with her love (played by Chad Michael Murray) because he is a Caucasian man and that was just so unthinkable to others back then. The video progresses in time, yet, features the same issue through different time periods to present day. I'm sure close-minded people are still giving interracial couples problems today. Why do other people always feel like it is their job to stick their noses where it doesn't belong?

“For the first time, I could put my arm around Mildred and publicly call her my wife.” - Richard Loving, in 1967 after the Supreme Court unanimously decided in their favor.

No comments: