Saturday, September 10, 2011

We Will Never Forget

There are not enough words to even do this topic enough justice
 to all the victims and people directly effected
from the events of September 11, 2001.


For some reason as I scrolled the guide on my television set on the 8th of this month, I tuned in on an documentary show of  9/11. After years of not watching the news around this time of year, for every year since 2001, I allowed myself to look at some coverage. Then I realized it is the 10th year of remembrance. Wow! It's been ten long years of a chain of events. All the memories of where I was when I found out the horrendous events of that morning came back. I even remember taking note of the weather that morning because it was an especially crisp clear sunny day, as if it happened yesterday. I was at school, middle school in the suburbs of St. Louis, MO, to be exact, and I was excited because September 11th, is my little sister's birthday. At first I felt disbelief, thinking, "No, that couldn't really have happened up in New York", but it became an realization when I walked into my next class. I walked into class to the images of the World Trade Centers already ablaze but not yet collapsed. To think that it was people who actually jumped from the buildings...speechless. At the time I didn't know that's what it was, actual people, not only flying office materials.

Watching that documentary, having all the memories and emotions replay (like a movie) at the same time, made my muscles tense up around my neck and stomach, I almost puked right there on the floor. I had to go into the kitchen to calm myself down and get some water to stop dry heaving. If I felt this way, imagine how the families of victims must feel every single day of their lives. They are watching the exact moment when their loved one died all over again. I remember in 2001, after I got through the initial disbelief and shock there was anger. My mother does the same kind of work that the people in the World Trade Centers did. Their sister company is in New York City and she has opportunities to travel. It could've easily been her in those tragedies. I then remembered that revenge is not mines to take. I send it all up to God, and you can't get any better back-up than God Himself.

Nearly 3000 people, including unborn babies, lost in one single day. No one should forget that life is too short and that every moment isn't guaranteed. After anger, came this over powering sense of American pride and unity. I bet at no other time did American flags sell out so fast, and show so boldly on the front of homes, on t-shirts and on cars! The thing about Americans are that we're resilient we can unite after our darkest hours and put ourselves back together..even if it takes years. Yes, I am proud to be an American with our flaws and all! Everyone has an element of freedom, rights, can vote if they so choose and have resources for any kind of help needed. Giving up you life to protect the lives of others is the ultimate sacrifice, just like the passengers and crew of Flight 93!

Military men and women are deeply rooted in my ancestry, all the way up to present day. How many times do you see someone who's sole job is to keep us safe and you just pass them by and not say thank you for their service? We can't take safety personnel for granted. Makes me want to bake something good and sweet for the local firefighters right now, even it is a very small gesture of kindness. I also want to donate canned goods to the city food pantry located at the fire station. In fact, I'm going to do that!


NIV Holy Scripture: Psalm71



No comments: